Gynecology - Cancer Screening and Examinations
Cancer screening is also an important part of each Well-Woman visit in our practice.
We pay specific attention to these evaluations:
- Breast cancer screening – Breast self-examinations, office breast exams, mammography, and review of personal and family risk factors.
- Colon cancer screening – office examinations and stool screening.
- Colonoscopy examinations by a GI specialist beginning at age 50 and occasionally earlier.
- Cervical cancer screening at any age with Pap smears and associated tests.
- Ovarian cancer screening is limited at present as there is no reliable screening test, although many have been studied and the search for a useful test continues.
A careful review of family history, regular GYN examinations, and education about the warning signs of ovarian cancer are the basis of care at present.