Congratulations on your new pregnancy!
This is an exciting time for you and your family. Whether this is your first pregnancy or your third, the care and attention you will receive from our physicians and staff will provide you with the information and support necessary for a comfortable and enjoyable journey towards motherhood.
Your pregnancy care will include these important encounters:
- A comprehensive first obstetrical visit:
At this visit we will discuss any questions you may have about your pregnancy and any symptoms you may be experiencing. We will review your personal medical history in detail and will also ask you about your family medical history. This visit includes a comprehensive examination similar to our comprehensive annual well-woman care. Important lab tests will be completed, and we will generally arrange for you an initial ultrasound exam to confirm your due date and to assure that your pregnancy is starting in a healthy way. There is also a variety of optional testing you may choose, and we will review all of these choices with you. We will take the time to discuss your personal lifestyle and any lifestyle questions you may have related to your pregnancy. We will continue to be available to you at any time should you experience any problems or have any questions during early pregnancy.
- Regular office visits and examinations:
These are generally scheduled every 3-4 weeks during the first 2/3 of pregnancy, then every 1-2 weeks and finally every week during the last month of pregnancy. At each visit we will assist you in planning for your continued good health and care through the coming few weeks and beyond.
- Ultrasound services are available in our office and are provided by a licensed ultrasound technologist. Your ultrasound examinations are reviewed and completed by a board certified radiologist. In addition to our initial ultrasound testing, further ultrasound exams are generally recommended at 20 weeks of pregnancy, at 36 to 38 weeks of pregnancy and at other times as required by your particular condition.
- All laboratory services such as blood testing may be completed in our office at your visit.
- A Childbirth and Parenthood course is an important part of your preparation for the delivery and care of your new baby. An excellent series of classes with orientation and tours is offered by our office and conducted by a senior Labor and Delivery nurse.
- At all times, we will be available to you for concerns and after office hours emergencies. You may reach us directly by telephone at any time or for a hospital evaluation if deemed medically appropriate. During our regular office hours we offer “add-in” office appointments each day as well.